Power Women Magazine | Blog Talk Radio Feed

Monday, March 1, 2010

Dedicated Player: Kerry Warren



I would like to introduce you all to # 6 Kerry Warren of the Seattle Mist. It is hard to believe that at just 23 years old, this young lady has achieved alot. She plays a variety of sports like Rugby, water polo, soccer, basketball, and of course football. This young lady is very talented, dedicated, and passionate about sports. Lets take a look at her story and how she got this far!

This is what Kerry had to say when we had asked to be interviewed for this blog: It means a lot to be recognized for the blood, sweat, and tears that I put into the season. Not to mention, I had a record that someone found to be notable.

Brittney: How did you hear about this league?

Kerry: I actually heard about this league while I was in school at Central Washington University. Believe it or not , my mom called me when she saw the first try out on the news and told me that I should try and contact someone in the league about when the next tryouts were. My mom has always been one of my biggest fans and knows how much I thrive on high contact and challenging sports, so I took her seriously and sent an email and a few months later, I was informed of the date and time for the tryout. However, it was on a Wednesday, so I had to get cleared with my teachers to leave, meaning all my homework had to be done early.

Brittney: What motivated you to try out?

Kerry: The thought of continuing a contact sport after college was my prime motivation. I wasn't sure how I felt about the concept of playing in my underwear (nor was my father!), but I am comfortable in my skin and knew that I was in good shape and just used it as more fuel to train and beast out. I knew that the first step in getting others to love you is to love and be confident in yourself and I decided to step up to the plate and let the world know who Kerry Warren really was.

Brittney: What do you do during the off season?

Kerry: I am just working and playing the sport of my true passion...rugby. I thrive off of physical challenges, so I have to find things to give me reasons to train. Rugby not only keeps that passion there, it gives me a reason to keep my body in top physical condition which motivates me to keep pushing myself in training.

Brittney: What is the wort hit you have taken?



Kerry: The hardest hit I have taken physically was not a football hit. It was a rugby hit when I dislocated my shoulder scoring my first try (much like a touchdown in football). However, the most devastating "hit" in my football career as of yet came the day we were slated to play L.A. Temptation. I flew out that day with a team full of confidence. We had orchestrated what we believed to be a very successful defense that would stop LA in their tracks and clinch out playoff spot against Dallas for the Championship game. Who would have guessed that an hour before, after I had been taped and final game prep was done that I would get called into Mitch's office where she told me to strip down to uniform (along with about 5 other girls) for "inspection". It was ten minutes later that two very unhappy coaches pulled me into their office and told me that I had been suspended from play because of "weight issues". I am 5'6" and 135 pounds of muscle, hearing that there was a difference between athletic muscle and fat and that my body needed work because I was not "Playboy or Maxim Magazine material", hit hard. My body has never been and never will be Barbie-like. I am very fit, I just have a more athletic build and I was shocked to hear what I heard. Not to mention my team had to function without me and I felt guilty I wasn't on the field fighting with them...that had to be the worst feeling in the world.

Brittney: What is your most embarrassing moment on the field?
Kerry: Can this really be put into one moment?!! Unfortunately, the uniforms provided offered very little support and I happen to have a chest that most women would die for. I can't tell you how many times ladies would go to tackle me and get my uniform and "things" would pop out of place. If I had to pick the single most embarrassing moment, it would have to be when i had the ball and was running a play that took me wide and up the sideline. As so as the half cam to an end, the first thing I was informed was that I now had absolutely noting to hide from the team, they had seen it all! I was a little upset about it at first, but the more I thought about it, the more I just shook it off and laughed knowing that the Mist had emphasized the importance of family. With this in mind, I could rest knowing that it was a safe environment and my team mates and coaches lave and respect me just as I love and respect them.

Brittney: What do you enjoy doing on your spare time?

Kerry: SPARE TIME!!! When I am not working, training, or playing team sports, I'm usually rocking out to my ipod or spending time with family. My family has always been a very important part of my life and lately, I have been realizing that my little sister, Morgan is more fun to be around than I had ever imagined! There is a 7 year gap between us which has always been a pretty larger barrier in the past, but now that she is in high school and following my footsteps (hopefully she will learn from my mistakes before making them herself), I have really enjoyed just watching her and being there for her, should she ever need me.


Brittney: Where can we expect to see you in the future?

Kerry: Where the future will take me, I truly only believe that only God knows. I know that I will always be training for something. I know that I will always be challenging myself physically and mentally. I believe that in order to grow, you have to step out of the box and take yourself out of your comfort zone and I intend to do just that. I'd love to say that I will be playing another season of the Mist, but who knows if I'll make it past tryouts. Also, I am looking into possibly taking my degree in aviation managements and putting it into action in the US Air Force. Only God knows the plans He has for me. My job is just to take each opportunity and make it count and learn what I can in every circumstance. I have high hopes for my future, where ever life may take me. :)

~I would like to say thank you to Kerry for taking time out her busy schedule to talk. I would also like to say that she is very inspiring and a good role model, not only to her sister, but to her friends and fans! I hope she continues to keep working hard, which I know she will, and I want to wish her the best of luck in all her endeavors!~

No comments:

Post a Comment