Power Women Magazine | Blog Talk Radio Feed

Monday, February 22, 2010

L.A. Temptation's Monique Gaxiola

Hi guys it's Brittney! Last week I had the privilege to talk to Harper Boiz of the Seattle Mist. This week I am talking to #13, Monique Gaxiola of the L.A. Temptation.

The L.A. Temptation was crowned the Champions of the LFL, upsetting the Chicago Bliss 27-14. Here is my interview with Monique as she takes us on a brief journey of her life and how she got into this league!

Brittney: How did you hear about the league?

Monique: I heard about the league through a good friend of mine who tried out a month before she and I met. She happened to be my neighbor while I was in college at USC. I contacted the league back in August of '08 but didn't hear from them until March of '09. They held open tryouts which I attended and I made the roster.

Brittney: When did you start playing football?

Monique: I've been playing football my entire life. I have four brothers and we are all close in age so I grew up playing sports, especially football. I played a little in high school on the junior varsity team as the kicker. Every Sunday during the NFL season, our entire day is dedicated to watching football, so I've grown to love the sport. I use to tell my brothers I'd be the first girl in the NFL, bu the LFL just so happens to be the closest thing!

Brittney: What do you do during the off season?

Monique: Well since this is my first season off season, which started about a week ago, I plan to continue to train because we still have to make appearances. I took this past week off from training and eating right, which I enjoyed very much. I plan to join a flag football team to help improve my football skills for next season. Our league is beginning to grow so quickly and I know this next season is just going to get harder with the competition. There are going to be a lot more athletic and beautiful women coming out to the tryouts so I have to prepare myself for the competition.


Brittney: How do you stay in shape and avoid injury?

Monique: Well that's funny you ask because I played this entire season with an old ACL tear in my right knee. I had torn my ACL a year prior to football while playing soccer, but thought it was just an old knee injury which I've done before. I was given the option to have surgery or to play with a brace the entire season. I chose to not have the surgery and wear the brace every practice and every game. As for staying in shape during the off season, I workout 4-5 times a week. I run at least 3 miles a day along with weight lifting. I also workout with a personal trainer who helps me out with my football speed and agility. During the season, we practice 3 times a week for 4 hours, so the days we do not practice I'll do my daily workout.



Brittney: What position do you play? Do you play any other sports?

Monique: I play middle linebacker, running back, wide receiver, kicker, and offensive line. I played soccer my entire life from the age of 5 and throughout college. I played soccer for the Mexican National Team and also at USC. I was also on the Competition Cheer Squad at USC. In high school I ran track & field, cross country, cheerleader, a little football, and soccer.


~I hope everyone enjoys getting to know these girls and reading their stories! They truly are tough chicks!~

1 comment:

  1. this is absolutely fantastic! LA Temptations is my team! i hold weekly events at my house with a dozen people and we watch LFL! its amazing and we cant get enough :) it truely has replaced fight night and all other events we used to have :)
    If i could learn more about my amaaaazing team pleeeease let me know. we are currently looking into purchasing merchandise to spice up the event! thank you

    ReplyDelete